Saturday, January 26, 2008

Mastering Regular Expressions

I'm reading "Mastering Regular Expressions" by Jeffrey Friedl, and really enjoying it. Not only is it a topic that I find very interesting, but Jeffrey does a great job of leading you (and challenging you) on a path of discovering the power of regex. The narrative is sometimes a bit too self-conscious (the author never lets you forget that it's HIM doing the talking), but that can be forgiven because the book is well written and interesting.

I don't read a lot of technical, "geeky" books, so I don't have a broad base for comparison. But this is definitely the best I've read. So far, my only quibble is that he says that regex should be pronounced with a hard G, as in regular, rather than a soft G, as in regina. I haven't met a programmer yet who pronounces it this way, some of whom have been using regex for many years. We pronounce it rej'eks. Personally, I find reg'eks awkward to pronounce.

No comments: